If you want to write well, read well. Here are just the Top 10.
1. CASABLANCA Screenplay by Julius J. & Philip G. Epstein and Howard Koch. Based on the play “Everybody Comes to Ricks” by Murray Burnett and Joan Alison
2. THE GODFATHER Screenplay by Mario Puzo and Francis Ford Coppola. Based on the novel by Mario Puzo
3. CHINATOWN Written by Robert Towne
4. CITIZEN KANE Written by Herman Mankiewicz and Orson Welles
5. ALL ABOUT EVE Screenplay by Joseph L. Mankiewicz. Based on “The Wisdom of Eve,” a short story and radio play by Mary Orr
6. ANNIE HALL Written by Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman
7. SUNSET BLVD. Written by Charles Brackett & Billy Wilder and D.M. Marshman, Jr.
8. NETWORK Written by Paddy ChayefskyFACTS
9. SOME LIKE IT HOT Screenplay by Billy Wilder & I.A.L. Diamond. Based on “Fanfare of Love,” a German film written by Robert Thoeren and M. Logan
10. THE GODFATHER II Screenplay by Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo. Based on Mario Puzos novel “The Godfather”
via 101 List.